Friday, October 3, 2008

Yellow Springs Crochet


Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a fiber artist. My medium is crochet. I love absolutely everything about crochet. Well, almost everything. I'm not a fan of delicate intricate patterns. Give me a hook, a ball of yarn and watch me work! yellowspringscrochet.com I live in historic Yellow Springs, Ohio. The shawl above is available. Send me an email at yellowspringscrochet@yahoo.com if you're interested.

I first started to crochet when I found my mother's old Quick & Easy Crochet magazines. There was a photo of a crochet bikini. I was in love. I actually made the bikini top and decided it wasn't good enough so I tore it out and never remade it. This ignited my search on ebay for that issue of Quick & Easy Crochet. My mother also had a 3 ring binder book of crochet patterns the name escapes me. I still have that binder.

I found Judith Copelands, Modular Crochet and I was again in love with crochet. Judith's method allows you to use any hook size and any yarn! I've seen that book sell for $200! I have 2 copies of it myself. The photos scream 70's sexual androgony. There are photos of African American people and children. I would love to meet Judith.

In Yellow Springs we had a wool gathering a few weeks ago. It was so much fun. I loved looking at all of the animals. One gentleman gave a demonstration with his dogs. They would round up ducks. The dogs would make the ducks climb a ladder & dive into a small pool. I wore my crochet shawl and got a ton of compliments. I didn't have business cards or fliers made up and I would have felt stupid saying "You can have it for $X." I got to watch a sheep get a hair cut with clippers. It was much like when I would cut my poodle's hair. Groomers are expensive and my dog was very good natured about the whole affair.

So welcome to my blog and feel free to say hello even if you're not interested in crochet.

No comments: